superbutterdog superbutterdog posted March 11th, 2016 at 5:42 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 117 times. Answered 8 times.

I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been asked before but I tried a few different key word searches and found nothing. So, does anybody know if it's possible to get a Vietnamese driving licence (for a motorbike) if you haven't got one from home? In other words can you take the test here? If so, is it expensive, easy etc? Thanks.

sweetscrazy sweetscrazy posted April 7th, 2016 at 6:08 pm to Culture. Viewed 52 times. Answered once.

Hi I have a question about VN marriage laws and customs. I'm a 33 year old Filipino married to a Vietnamese. My wife and I have been living separately for some years and will divorce. We have one child. I'm a mobile developer so I must live away often. I also always try to use popular apps including chat apps to keep up to date with tech. Through time, I've developed good online friendships, one of which is with a 17 year old VN girl. We fell in love after meeting in person and we've floated the idea of marriage in her early 20's. I'd like to ask how realistic this is or if there would be major issues or difficulties with a 16 year age gap, legally and socially in VN

Willowashtree Willowashtree posted April 13th, 2015 at 5:36 am to Shopping. Viewed 14 times. Answered once.

Does anyone know where I can buy tea tree oil and other essential oils ?

wixvn wixvn posted April 6th, 2016 at 6:56 am to Visas. Viewed 51 times. Answered once.

I am a UK citizen living in Vietnam and marrying my Vietnamese girlfriend next month. We'd like to visit the UK for our honeymoon for 2 weeks so i'm trying to find the right visa. It seems clear i can apply for the standard tourist visa, but also that i should be able to get the EEA Family Permit, which i'd prefer as it's free. Can anyone advise me on this? Thanks.

ljbrunner ljbrunner posted March 25th, 2016 at 4:46 am to Visas. Viewed 54 times. Answered 5 times.

Hi! I am working here in Hanoi. My husband lives in Thailand he is supposed to come visit me next week but apparently the visa process is changed. He used to be able to go to the embassy and just apply but now they are saying he needs a letter from immigration. HE IS NOT THAI He is from a West African country. Nobody is telling us how to get this letter. We even contacted an agency to get the letter and they haven't replied to us at all. They are also telling us the fees (including the letter) will now be tripple the cost of what it used to be...Two years ago it was only about $75 USD. Now they are saying the letter fee and visa fee will be $225 USD for one month single entry....does this sound right? We have looked for how to apply for this and there are no answers. Any answers would b...

lauraheggs lauraheggs posted September 19th, 2015 at 7:58 pm to Help!. Viewed 36 times. Answered 3 times.

Hi everyone. I'm currently searching for teaching opportunities in Vietnam. Hanoi is preferred, but I am open to other cities as well. I am interested in hearing from people about how to start the process, where to find suitable jobs, and your experiences. Please feel free to contact me with any advice. Thank you and cheers!

european_son european_son posted May 13th, 2013 at 10:13 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 279 times. Answered 29 times.

Can anyone please advise on whether I can choose Western names for my baby's Vietnamese birth certificate, or do all the names have to be Vietnamese? Brief summary of my wife is Vietnamese, and I am from the UK. We live in Vietnam, and we had a baby here recently. We want the baby's main first name to be Western, with Vietnamese middle name and my surname. We are attempting to get a Vietnamese birth certificate, but the Ministry appear to be saying that we can only choose Vietnamese names. Is this the law? Does the choice of nationality that we will choose for the baby (UK or VN) have any bearing on this? Any other factors I need to consider? We plan to get a British passport for the baby in due course. First-hand experience and/or legal advice especially appreci...

prabu201 prabu201 posted March 7th, 2016 at 3:38 am to Paperwork. Viewed 43 times. Not yet answered.

Hi friends, I'm planning to buy a used motorbike from a foreigner with NN number plate registered under his name. I am working in vietnam with a valid work permit and temporary residence card. I would like it to be re-registered in my name as he is leaving the country in two months. I am not sure about the documents required and the registration fee. Any help on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

cait cait posted March 4th, 2016 at 6:38 am to Paperwork. Viewed 34 times. Not yet answered.

Hi all, The deadline for PIT finalization is approaching and, as I hadn't been at my company long enough, they don't do it for me. I went on the tax website to try to do it myself but was quickly faced with an "upload file" request and didn't know what file they wanted and couldn't find any info about it anywhere. Attempt ended. Does anyone have experience doing their PIT finalization here themselves? Or do they know any agency that will do it for me? Really starting to cause a headache. Any info would be massively appreciated. Cheers!

ntran604 ntran604 posted February 26th, 2016 at 4:01 am to Help!. Viewed 55 times. Answered 8 times.

Hey guys, I've read a bunch of old threads from 40+ months ago but I'd like to hear of an updated version of all of this. My family back home in Vietnam have just sold some property and I will be getting a large sum of that money and I would like to transfer it out back home to Canada where I live. Now, how can I do this safely and efficiently without getting taxed a whole bunch? I will have all of the legal paper work therefore this is not coming from any illegal activity. I've recently just opened a bank with HSBC in Canada since I've heard they are good with transfers. I'm wondering if I could open a foreign account to make the transfer since I've read that you could do it easily as long as the names match with the overseas account. Is this true? But I've also read that I ...

pepper and salt pepper and salt posted March 2nd, 2016 at 7:44 am to Visas. Viewed 33 times. Answered once.

Why oh why? 100 USD for a one day overstay? I overstayed for almost 24 hours. I asked around and they ( travel agencies and agents) They all said that I have to pay 100 USD. So I got different answers. I am led to believe that the figures are true. I tried to search online any other means of paying lesser. And I failed. This is a malady. I cant pay 100 USD for a one day stay. I have actually their emails saying I have to pay 100 USD. One said 450000 Dong. I resisted and I just told myself, Just go to the boarder and see how it goes. In the border, the officer said I have to pay 10 USD as a penalty. I then told them ( officer plus the attendant/bus conductor I don't have the money. I kept a 200,000 Dong bill in my pocket before I travelled. I anticipated they will rip me...

CommunityDrawingDave CommunityDrawingDave posted January 19th, 2016 at 4:58 pm to Visas. Viewed 15 times. Answered twice.

Visa advice My visa expires on 2nd Feb. I leave Hanoi on April 1st. ( I’ve been here since August 6th) I am only need a visa for 2 months. 1, Is it possible to get a visa for 1 month twice ? - Feb. and then March 2, Is it better to go out of Vietnam (eg bus to Lao or Thailand) and then back in ? Suggestions welcome plz Dave 01204033621 /

Want2Come2Vietnam Want2Come2Vietnam posted November 24th, 2015 at 9:45 pm to Visas. Viewed 30 times. Answered 5 times.

Hi All, I am from Australia in my 30's and looking at coming to Vietnam for 1+ years depending on how things go, I would like to teach English and although I don't have a degree and in all honesty don't intend on getting one in the near future I will be obtaining my TESOL certificate to help me find employment. I know this creates the dilemma about working illegally on a tourist visa but in all honesty I'm not sure if teaching is something I will like as it's something I have never done in a classroom setting before, but I am willing to give it a go. If I do find teaching is something I enjoy I would like to continue teaching legally in Vietnam. I have worked in the corporate world now for 10+ years and have educated customers and staff for over 5 years, I have been Team Leader...

Jasonwayne555 Jasonwayne555 posted February 18th, 2016 at 3:02 am to Visas. Viewed 34 times. Answered once.

So much to sift through. I am currently in the U.S., yes, an American citizen, who is determined to relocate, find work, and gear a place to live in vietnam. My plan is to stay, do whatever it is i have to do, nump through hoops and what not, and become a permanent resident of the country. Citizenship isnt really a concern of mine, and i'll think nothing of losing my current status to gain another there. I've read so much about visas and permits and 3 month plans and 5 year stays, I don't know what to believe any more. I just want to find a reliable resource with up to date information so I can go about this the right way without getting into some sort of trouble, or worse. anyone know where i might find some answers? Just looking for a little guidance!

Geek Geek posted January 14th, 2016 at 4:57 am to Visas. Viewed 60 times. Answered 3 times.

visa run to Bangkok from Vietnam. My gf will be leaving Saigon soon, going to BKK. When she arrives in Bangkok, she will simply get on to a return flight to come back to Saigon (HCMC). She will have a 3-month Visa On Arrival letter in her pocket to re-enter Vietnam. My question is: Does she need a visa to enter Thailand, when she will simply be arriving and leaving within 2 or 3 hours. We don't know if she has to go through customs or not. If she doesn't go through customs, then I suppose she doesn't need a visa The problem with applying for a visa is: she doesn't work, therefore can't give evidence of income!!! Hoping for advice Da Geek ;)

droid-nd droid-nd posted January 1st, 2016 at 1:21 am to Other. Viewed 51 times. Answered once.

hi, does anybody know where i can advertise a computer design job for vietnamese freelancers? any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

lcagaiden (elite user) lcagaiden posted September 3rd, 2012 at 6:45 pm to Visas. Viewed 104 times. Answered 34 times.

It's that time again when my VN visa's about to expire. I'm planning to head over to Phnom Penh as i did last time, but the people from Lucky Moto in PP are not answering my emails... Has anyone got their visas extended with them recently? Can they still arrange 1yr? Just don't wanna end up in Cambodia and find out they're no longer in business or something... thanks!

LinhW LinhW posted December 29th, 2015 at 3:17 pm to Other. Viewed 44 times. Answered twice.

Hello there, I know this question has been asked frequently, but I'd like to know if I can find a job at a lower tier school in Vietnam in the following situation: - I am Dutch Born, 23 y/o, Caucasian, man. - I have a TEFL online 120 hour certificate - I have the Dutch equivalent to a British college degree in chemistry. - I have a completion document for the first year of a bachelor in International Business Management and I'm in my third year (will finish in 2016). - I recently scored an 8 on the IELTS exam (I only had 20 days to prepare and didn't prepare for speaking and writing) - My wife is Vietnamese - I'm staying in Ho Chi Minh city for 6 months for a project (not a tourist). Is there any chance I can get +/- 40 teaching hours a week if I actively look for classes...

jundalisay jundalisay posted December 29th, 2015 at 2:50 am to Shopping. Viewed 3 times. Not yet answered.

The hard disk of my old laptop has died and I need to get a new hard disk. I plan to buy a new laptop a few months from now, so I'm thinking of just buying a cheap hard disk for my old laptop until I can get a new laptop. I use Ubuntu so I just need around 80gb to 160gb preferably under 400k, the cheaper the better. Is there any store that sells cheap hard disks? I went to Ton That Tung and the stores there only sell 500gb for 1 million.

richanoian richanoian posted November 14th, 2015 at 6:58 pm to Visas. Viewed 34 times. Answered 16 times.

For four years I have been working here on a series of B3 visas, i.e., one 3-month visa and extension, visa run, repeat. For some unknown reason last time, the agency got me a tourist visa, and I got in trouble for working. Recall that that was just around the time when the visa law changed, so there is no more B3. I had no idea that the "DL" on my new visa was tourist. Immigration has fined me 20,000,000 VND and cancelled my visa, and I am now banned for three years. Is this the normal way they deal with working on a tourist visa (which obviously I never meant to do and had no idea about)?


... is The New Hanoian's Q&A forum. If you've got a question about life in Hanoi that you think you should pose to someone in the know, here is the place to do it.

Search before you post! Many of your questions have been asked and answered before. If you need additional information on a past post, or want a more recent update of the information, add your question to that thread. Doing so will return the thread to the top of the list. Try to avoid posting duplicate questions whenever possible.