YMCB123 YMCB123 posted December 17th, 2012 at 10:30 am to Paperwork. Viewed 177 times. Answered twice.

When I arrived to Hanoi, I did so on a three-month business visa (multiple entry). It will be expiring at the end of December and so I need to extend it. What is the cost to extend?

Nybbler (elite user) Nybbler posted March 22nd, 2009 at 6:57 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 842 times. Answered 144 times.

This must have been asked a hundred times before so I would be happy with a link. I searched but didn't find any real answer. 1. Do I need a license for driving a motorbike? Many Vietnamese tell me "no problem, no-one will ask, just don't have an accident, and if a policeman stops you, just speak English or German or Klingon". But some say "better get one!". Many expats drive for years without. I feel uneasy without one. And of course I am trying to stay out of any accident and I drive safely but shit just happens and how can I avoid an idiot crashing into me? So what is your opinion? Get one or just have some $ ready to buy yourself out of any nasty situation? How much? Also I don't know which insurance will pay if I have no driving license. I have a German Haftpflicht which is v...

duggboy duggboy posted May 31st, 2011 at 3:14 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 149 times. Answered 7 times.

Does anyone know how efficient they are at the Vietnamese Embassy in Phnom Penh? I'm thinking it may be cheaper to fly to HCMC and get a bus to PP than any of the other options (exc the bus to Vientiene) but if I book cheap flights I can't miss them so I'd need to evidence that the guys in PP can stamp my passport without a 2-3 day wait. If anyone has experiences of this route please share, thanks.

begood begood posted December 7th, 2012 at 5:13 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 69 times. Answered 3 times.

Is there anyone knows where can i find a Forensic auditing to our company? Thanks

tecalli tecalli posted November 9th, 2011 at 2:09 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 190 times. Answered 13 times.

The Tues. Nov. 8th Viet Nam News has on page 6 an explanation from the editors of how to get a VN drivers license. The write-up makes it all sound easy and straight forward. "If you hold an international or national driver's license to operate an automobile and motorcycle you can obtain a similar drivers license without a test." The article tells where to get and submit your application, the few items you need to submit, and that you can check on its status on the department's web site. From reading prior posts on TNH the process does not sound easy or straightforward at all. Has anyone tried to get a drivers license recently? Has the process changed or is the Viet Nam News article a fictional account? Thanks.

hope137140 hope137140 posted November 30th, 2012 at 3:07 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 93 times. Answered 3 times.

I'm looking for info about the license renewal process. I just got a B1 license by presenting my US license. Although I had 4 months left on a 6 month B3 visa, the woman refused to grant my request to be issued a license with the same validity as my US license (I still have several years on that). Despite my polite requests and conduct of everything in VNese language, she wasn't very nice and said she couldn't do it. I'm not sure if it was because she really couldn't do it or just because she didn't want to. My understanding from previous posts was that as long as they didn't consider you a tourist technically, you might be able to get a VNese license with the same validity as your foreign license. My current question is how to renew the license (this is just B1 CAR license, not moto...

HajiAli HajiAli posted November 5th, 2012 at 5:03 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 74 times. Not yet answered.

Has anyone experienced the procedure of RE-registration of work permit + residence card from an old passport expired in to the newly issued one? How long does it usually take? Thanks a lot

alliancehanoi alliancehanoi posted October 17th, 2012 at 11:39 am to Paperwork. Viewed 150 times. Answered 32 times.

Hi everybody, im here again to ask if one of you could give me an advice about my situation. We plan to get married in Bali, but neither my wedding planner nor me could contact to anyone at my country embassy in Jarkarta to get me a CNI ( certificate of no impediment) The wedding planner sent someone to Jakarta to meet people at the embassy and he couldnt see anyone. What should we do now? Should i get my CNI in my country, then take it to Bali? or do you know anyone who can help us? Thanks alot in advance!

hayes hayes posted November 17th, 2011 at 11:01 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 986 times. Answered 56 times.

After paying all the costs through my employer for my work permit it has been declined because I do not hold a University degree. My tourist visa (which started as a 3month multiple entry on May 8th 2011 and has been extended at a huge cost to me since then) expires on 16th December, I travel by land boarder to Cambodia on 24th December for a holiday in Sihanouckville, the only days I will be in Phnom Penh for renewal will be public holidays plus I really need to sort out the visa situation on the 16th Dec anyway, then for TET i'm going to Northern Laos so again will be exiting Vietnam. The cost of renewing in Hanoi for the past 2 months has been costing my $100 for one month, this is just not affordable in the long run. Can anyone please offer advice on which countries I could ...

Worldtravelman25 Worldtravelman25 posted September 23rd, 2012 at 7:02 am to Paperwork. Viewed 59 times. Answered 5 times.

Most ESL jobs require a police report. I am in another country and soon I will be in Hanoi this week. Is it possible to obtain police report (background check) while in Hanoi?

fillaristi fillaristi posted September 25th, 2012 at 12:03 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 71 times. Not yet answered.

Looking for a possibility to order sticker labels (with text on it) here in Hanoi. Would use them e.g. to mark cables, electronics, etc. personal stuff. Anyone heard of a printhouse or equivalent?

dpreed77 dpreed77 posted August 27th, 2012 at 9:33 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 292 times. Answered 6 times.

Did anyone do their health check for their work permit at the Vietnam Korea Friendship hospital? If so did you have any problems when getting you work permit? Thanks.

mamjoi mamjoi posted September 17th, 2012 at 2:38 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 165 times. Answered 5 times.

I've recently moved to Hanoi for one year, and have rented a house here, but don't have an employer in Vietnam, so no work permit or visa valid longer than 3 months. Does anyone know if I can still apply for a temporary residence card?

alliancehanoi alliancehanoi posted September 6th, 2012 at 9:53 am to Paperwork. Viewed 122 times. Not yet answered.

Is there anyone here know how to contact to Vietnam embassy in Jakarta? I tried to call to the phone numbers on their website http://www.vietnamembassy-indonesia.org/vi/nr070626163752/ as well as send them email but noone answer the phone or reply my email. I need to apply for a CNI ASAP. Thanks!

hanoilara hanoilara posted August 30th, 2012 at 3:15 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 169 times. Answered 8 times.

What is the cheapest (but still good) medical insurance in vietnam? I want something to cover me if I got ill and needed to go to hosipital, doctors fees etc. Thanks!

aloram aloram posted August 22nd, 2012 at 6:46 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 96 times. Answered 16 times.

Can any Americans share their experience or advice with me? I'm an American man living and working in Hanoi. I recently married a Vietnamese woman and we live together. We're about to send out our I-130 form to the U.S. to apply for a spousal visa for her, but I've heard a lot of conflicting advice; some people say I should use my address here on the forms, others say I should use my U.S. address because mail to Hanoi is so unreliable. I know that our lease is a key piece of evidence, but wouldn't putting my U.S. address contradict that? Any Americans in Hanoi who've gone through this (or are going through this), I'd appreciate your insights. Thanks.

PHTSHADOW PHTSHADOW posted August 6th, 2012 at 7:53 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 88 times. Answered 20 times.

Hi, How can I make sure that the rental contract is signed by the rightful owner? I have lost faith temporarily due to several lies encountered. I am expected to sign a contract with an investor "toan tien co ltd" and am unsure of their ownership status. They claim to be the owner. Just worried that the actual landlord might suddenly appear at my newly rented door and say "please move out, this is my apartment". Please advice...Thank you. They are also indicating power to be 3000 per KWH. If we use airconditioning 24 / 7, with laptop usage at nights, what are we looking at in terms of usage and cost?

travelinhobo travelinhobo posted July 31st, 2012 at 10:44 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 133 times. Answered 5 times.

Last year I visited and worked in VN for a few months. Left and planned to return in Oct., but things changed and I returned in mid-June. Before returning, I contacted a few ESL teachers and asked if they thought it would be difficult to find a position during the summer. All answers were "no problem". I've visited the language schools in Bien Hoa (where I want to work again), Can Tho & Nha Trang and have had quite minimal response. Is this a bad summer or my bad luck? Would also like to know from people who do actually know... Is it the school (only talking about language schools here) or the gov't who would do a check on the TEFL & university degree once hired? Or is it all just a formality? Thanks for the info!

gigant gigant posted July 23rd, 2012 at 3:42 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 141 times. Answered 3 times.

Hi, i want to rent a mfp (printer, scan, copy) for my office. Where to find a service company?

tonyr8888 tonyr8888 posted July 12th, 2012 at 4:48 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 71 times. Answered 34 times.

In need of some help. My potential employer has asked me to sort out a work permit before starting. Having read a lot over the last couple of days about the requirments to obtain a work permit I have not found out exactly where in Hanoi I can get an application form. Can anybody help? An address would be most helpful. Obviously, there are also other forms to fill out, so if anyone can let me where these can be obtianed it would be most appreciate. thanks Tony


... is The New Hanoian's Q&A forum. If you've got a question about life in Hanoi that you think you should pose to someone in the know, here is the place to do it.

Search before you post! Many of your questions have been asked and answered before. If you need additional information on a past post, or want a more recent update of the information, add your question to that thread. Doing so will return the thread to the top of the list. Try to avoid posting duplicate questions whenever possible.