MapleLeaf (elite user) MapleLeaf posted March 31st, 2010 at 9:04 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 663 times. Answered 25 times.

I was in ANZ bank yesterday, and they told me that NO BANK in Vietnam will allow its customers to transfer money from a VND account into an overseas USD account. The person I spoke with made some ridiculous claim that "banks lose money when they transfer USD to an overseas account." (Considering the fee they charge for processing a bank transfer, and then the excessively high rate they sell USD at, I can only assume what she meant to say was, "We make more money taking the USD that we buy from customers and selling it on the black market than we do selling it back to customers, so we just sell it on the black market). So my question is, "Are there any banks in Hanoi that do allow people to transfer money from their VND account to a USD account in America, or the UK, or any foreign nat...

travelinhobo travelinhobo posted September 12th, 2010 at 10:13 am to Paperwork. Viewed 121 times. Answered 8 times.

I have read several websites inc. this one, have learned half of what I want to know and now have the following question: As an American, I see I can enter Vietnam for 1-3 months on a visa and recieve an extension of another 3 months (=6 months). But what happens after that if I want to stay on? Is that 6 months within a certain period or do I just need to leave the country and then return on a new 1-3 month visa? If I can leave and re-enter, how long do I need to stay out of the country for? Even the Vietnamese embassy website didn't say. Thank you for your help.

DizzyV DizzyV posted March 1st, 2014 at 12:38 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 178 times. Answered 6 times.

Hi I am coming to Hanoi to teach (hopefully) in a couple of months. I would like some up to date info on what documents to bring. I have been told I need a police check from UK (where i currently live). I was planning to bring a CRB but they have changed this in the UK to a disbarring disclosure and you cannot apply for this yourself! Does anyone know what employers/government of Viet nam would require from UK citizens from work permit. Your assistance on this would be greatly helpful- I have searched this site and google but can't seem to find a definitive answer-nor from the school I plan to do a TEFL with. Many thanks DizzyV

damooster damooster posted February 27th, 2014 at 7:36 am to Paperwork. Viewed 66 times. Answered 14 times.

I did a search for this question but the Search engine seems to be broken... Anyways, my motorbike license expires this Saturday, but I won't have my new visa until next week. Will I have to go through the process as if I'm getting a new license again or can I just extend it? What's the process? Thanks.

Rvalkeneer Rvalkeneer posted January 16th, 2014 at 2:45 am to Paperwork. Viewed 161 times. Answered 5 times.

Hello, I have a temporary residence card, since i am married with a vietnamese since. But now i want to know how to extend my visa when i will be living in Vietnam, Hanoi. I have been reading about some of you are getting stamps, so that you don't have to leave the country. Could any of you explain where to get that stamp, and how does it work? Do i just take my passport with my temporary residence card to the imigration office every 3 months to extend my visa and pay them some fee?

EvanO89 EvanO89 posted June 13th, 2013 at 6:44 am to Paperwork. Viewed 307 times. Answered 14 times.

Hello all, I am trying to figure out whether or not i should be paying taxes in the US and Vietnam. I have done a bunch of 'research' by browsing the posts here and some actual research based on where they pointed me. I have found my PIT code for VN and determined my employer (teaching) is taking out the correct percentage. However, both myself and other americans i work with are now being told that we are expected to pay US taxes even though i (and most likely the others) are making nowhere near the 90K + a year cut off. It has been said this is a new development since our employer has switched to paying us through citibank. Anyone have any info on this? or could refer to somebody with their head around the US - VN tax treaty?

sandyontheroad sandyontheroad posted December 19th, 2013 at 2:53 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 66 times. Answered twice.

Any experience in getting a replacement of your Vietnamese driving licence? In 2005 I jumped through all the hoops and contortions and got an unlimited motorbike driving licence by writing the written test and taking the practice test. (I didn't translate my licence from my home country.) But recently my wallet was stolen and my Vietnamese licence was stolen with it. I still have the original paperwork from the written and practical test. But don't know where or how to go about getting a replacement without going through the entire process again. Any experiences or thoughts would be appreciated!

lcagaiden (elite user) lcagaiden posted December 16th, 2013 at 1:30 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 260 times. Answered twice.

I'm trying to plan a bigger bike trip through several nearby countries - wondering if there's any person/service around Hanoi that can help me arrange necessary paperwork? Has anyone crossed to Lao or Cambodia by bike before? Would you mind sharing how you went about it?

Sunnyflower Sunnyflower posted December 12th, 2013 at 9:32 am to Paperwork. Viewed 307 times. Answered 5 times.

I was reading through some things regarding foreigners in Vietnam and came across this (below). In article 11.2 it states that "foreigners may not live in areas where foreigners are prohibited to reside". Similarly in article 12 it states that foreigners may travel freely in Vietnam with the exception of "areas where foreigners are prohibited to travel." Does anyone know what/where these "forbidden areas" of residence and travel are?

lappies lappies posted December 2nd, 2013 at 7:55 am to Paperwork. Viewed 97 times. Answered 8 times.

How do I get on Facebook? Apparently there is a way around

cbain11 cbain11 posted December 4th, 2013 at 12:07 am to Paperwork. Viewed 55 times. Answered 3 times.

I have a one-year work permit here, and have just renewed my American passport. Anyone have experience updating the permit to a new passport #? I know how to switch over the visa, that's described in detail around here...but switching over the work permit is different, since it's labor instead of immigration. I think. Any heads up on a timeline for this sort of project would also be glorious.

newtayho newtayho posted April 18th, 2011 at 3:21 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 182 times. Answered 14 times.

Hi to all We are Expatriate in Hanoi. My wife give birth a Child in hospital; they gave me a Birth Certificate. What I will do now? I will register my child in our embassy only or we have to register also in Hanoi Justice Department? Anyone have any experience like this.

CharlesH CharlesH posted November 26th, 2013 at 11:19 am to Paperwork. Viewed 137 times. Answered 4 times.

Has anyone applied to do the motorbike test in Hanoi in the last few weeks? When I did it nine months ago, I applied and took my test at the office at Quoc Tu Giam (near the Temple of Literature), but when I took someone there yesterday, it appeared all shut up. Do you know where to start the motorbike test/license application process? (Already have the car license from 16 Cao Bá Quát)

spooner spooner posted November 21st, 2013 at 6:15 am to Paperwork. Viewed 227 times. Answered 5 times.

Hi! I'm travelling to Vietnam in January to find work teaching, have some queries about the materials I need to obtain a work permit. Though I see there's been lots of discussion about this I have been unable to find certain/recent information: N.B. I'm an Irish citizen. Do I need my original degree parchment to be authenticated, OR, my unmarked degree parchment AND an authenticated photocopy (in Ireland, this means notarized by a solicitor and then apostilled in the Dept. of Foreign Affairs)? I imagine it's the same for my TEFL cert (whatever the answer is), but what about my police check? Is it necessary to get this authenticated/apostilled? And the only method I know for this process is in Dublin or Cork, is it possible to do this in Vietnam at Irish embassy? Fina...

damooster damooster posted September 29th, 2013 at 9:09 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 273 times. Answered 11 times.

My wife gave birth to our first child this past Thursday at Vinmec hospital. They gave us a short form to fill out for the birth certificate. It was so short, in fact, that there was no space to write in the father's information. A few minutes ago, I asked the doctors about this and they told me that "the hospital doesn't care who the father is" and that they don't include the information on any of their paper work (yes, will include this in my review). My ultimate goal is to get a US passport for my daughter. I know that I have to take the paper work to the Justice Service and then take that paperwork to the Embassy. So my question is: did your hospital also refuse to include fathers info, and if so, did you have any problems getting a legal birth certificate?

damooster damooster posted November 8th, 2013 at 12:43 am to Paperwork. Viewed 76 times. Answered twice.

I am trying to obtain a Vietnamese birth certificate for my newborn daughter from the Department of Justice. They approved almost all of the paper work and have started the process, but on my receipt, the lady wrote that my police registration has to have the circular Hanoi City PD stamp that is on the first page of the registration book in addition to the local police stamp that is on my personal registration page or they won't release my birth certificate. My landlord called the local police and they said that the woman is wrong but if I write a letter stating that my wife and I live here, they will stamp that letter. I don't know if they will accept that letter. I'm wondering if any of you had the same difficulty. My housekeeper thinks that the lady is just doing this because she ...

MarkHanoi83 MarkHanoi83 posted October 22nd, 2013 at 2:36 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 302 times. Answered 11 times.

Hi All, there's allot of tax discussions going on between employees and companies. Most cases about how much money was withheld for tax purposes and the legitimacy of this action. A simple solution for after the fact would be, to double check how much tax was actually paid. Is there a procedure/method/process to get a statement from the government about how much tax you actually was paid to the government, based on your PIT number? If such evidence can be received, you can use it as: 1) Material to discuss getting more money in unpaid taxes 2) Proof of fraud by the companies 3) etc. I would really like to double check if my former employer did pay all the taxes, as they claimed they did, but I've still not receive any official statements other then their own excel-ca...

Neal Neal posted October 10th, 2013 at 12:18 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 92 times. Answered 6 times.

Hi, Am trying to find out how to get a Vietnam motorbike licence. Seen a thread on TNH a few weeks ago but can't find it now. It was from a business that processes Visa's but also helps out with licences. If someone knows where to find it can they direct me to the thread please. Thank-you.

cbain11 cbain11 posted October 13th, 2013 at 4:02 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 62 times. Answered 10 times.

I've done a fair amount of searching, and haven't found a direct answer to this particular question. My school has completed my work permit application, and will be handling a 1-year visa in the near future, when my current visa nears completion. They've given me back my degree, but have informed me that I don't get the work permit - that they will be keeping it. My first response was not to care - but when I found out that other teachers at the same school are allowed to keep them I...became a bit confused. Is there a reason to insist that I keep it? It seems they're holding on to it as a bargaining chip...but is it one? I was under the impression that it only applied to the job, and thus...if I left it stops being valid anyway, right? I'm confused.

damooster damooster posted December 26th, 2012 at 2:52 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 187 times. Answered 16 times.

I am currently going through the work permit application process. My employer asked me to do the following: 1. Get my documents (TEFL certificate, college degree, and criminal record check) authenticated by the US Embassy 2. Get documents translated 3. Get documents legalized I had the documents notarized at the US Embassy and then I had them translated at the Notary Office in Cau Giay. Today, I took all of the documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to get legalised, but they only took the notarized documents from the US Embassy; they didn't want the translated copies. So my question is: Did I make a mistake? Was I supposed to get the documents legalised by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs first before getting them translated (so that they would be legalized for the tran...


... is The New Hanoian's Q&A forum. If you've got a question about life in Hanoi that you think you should pose to someone in the know, here is the place to do it.

Search before you post! Many of your questions have been asked and answered before. If you need additional information on a past post, or want a more recent update of the information, add your question to that thread. Doing so will return the thread to the top of the list. Try to avoid posting duplicate questions whenever possible.