superbutterdog superbutterdog posted March 11th, 2016 at 5:42 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 555 times. Answered 8 times.

I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been asked before but I tried a few different key word searches and found nothing. So, does anybody know if it's possible to get a Vietnamese driving licence (for a motorbike) if you haven't got one from home? In other words can you take the test here? If so, is it expensive, easy etc? Thanks.

NickinNam NickinNam posted November 29th, 2009 at 12:28 am to Paperwork. Viewed 787 times. Answered 102 times.

Has anyone here ever successfully gotten a "Permanent Resident Card" by virtue of being married to a Vietnamese national? How long did you have to be here before qualifying? I read this thread: and thought I would be clever and get around this whole working paper issue by doing the paperwork and getting my permanent residency card. In that thread, one poster quoted: the "ORDINANCE ON ENTRY, EXIT AND RESIDENCE OF FOREIGNERS IN VIETNAM" specifically Article 13 1. Foreigners temporarily residing in Vietnam under one of the following circumstances shall be considered for permanent residence: c) They are spouses, offspring, parents of Vietnamese citizens residing in Vietnam." I went to the Immigration department in Tran Hung Dao Stre...

european_son european_son posted May 13th, 2013 at 10:13 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 1273 times. Answered 29 times.

Can anyone please advise on whether I can choose Western names for my baby's Vietnamese birth certificate, or do all the names have to be Vietnamese? Brief summary of my wife is Vietnamese, and I am from the UK. We live in Vietnam, and we had a baby here recently. We want the baby's main first name to be Western, with Vietnamese middle name and my surname. We are attempting to get a Vietnamese birth certificate, but the Ministry appear to be saying that we can only choose Vietnamese names. Is this the law? Does the choice of nationality that we will choose for the baby (UK or VN) have any bearing on this? Any other factors I need to consider? We plan to get a British passport for the baby in due course. First-hand experience and/or legal advice especially appreci...

prabu201 prabu201 posted March 7th, 2016 at 3:38 am to Paperwork. Viewed 366 times. Not yet answered.

Hi friends, I'm planning to buy a used motorbike from a foreigner with NN number plate registered under his name. I am working in vietnam with a valid work permit and temporary residence card. I would like it to be re-registered in my name as he is leaving the country in two months. I am not sure about the documents required and the registration fee. Any help on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

canada69 canada69 posted February 9th, 2016 at 11:29 am to Paperwork. Viewed 104 times. Answered 3 times.

Does anyone know how to deal properly with income taxes I have been here under one year and need to consider a longer-term stay-taxes will be a big part of the decision-currently I don't think my employer is doing any tax stuff (assigning me a tax number),I don't have a formal work contract (didn't bother as last employer screwed me on every promise)If Im going to stay on-I need to get this stuff sorted out-anyone know a good accountant- (Im actually a CFP but this stuff here is beyond me !)

cait cait posted March 4th, 2016 at 6:38 am to Paperwork. Viewed 379 times. Not yet answered.

Hi all, The deadline for PIT finalization is approaching and, as I hadn't been at my company long enough, they don't do it for me. I went on the tax website to try to do it myself but was quickly faced with an "upload file" request and didn't know what file they wanted and couldn't find any info about it anywhere. Attempt ended. Does anyone have experience doing their PIT finalization here themselves? Or do they know any agency that will do it for me? Really starting to cause a headache. Any info would be massively appreciated. Cheers!

MrMojoRisin MrMojoRisin posted February 7th, 2016 at 1:07 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 107 times. Not yet answered.

I need to get something notarized. Any country's notary is fine. I'd rather not have it done at my country's embassy, as my country has regulatory issues that would make the deal, which is just a simple sale of property, impossible. I've found it impossible to get a Vietnamese notary to notarize something. Is there anywhere in Vietnam, or another country in the region for that matter, where I can just go in, show my passport, pay the fee, sign the document in front of them, and they will stamp it?

marksayeh marksayeh posted March 8th, 2011 at 2:41 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 321 times. Answered 6 times.

We have had to bring my 86 year old Danish mother in-law over to Hanoi to live near us. We need a 24 hour care giver with her who speaks good English. Its not possible for foreigners to hire Vietnamese to live with them, so we have found excellent Filipino candidates to hire through an agency. The agency cannot help me for Vietnamese visas as most go to more developed countries and they are only set up for those. Can anyone help me in the process involved for getting visas for a Filipino (foreign) domestic helper? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

smccord smccord posted November 1st, 2015 at 1:20 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 86 times. Answered once.

Hi, I am planning on returning to university next year and I need some documents certified for my application by an Australian Justice of the Peace. As I have a few documents (8-10), this quickly adds up when you have them certified at the Australian Embassy. Does anyone know of a JP living in Hanoi and who is happy to certify documents? Thanks, Sarah

pippasweetie (elite user) pippasweetie posted November 18th, 2009 at 9:46 am to Paperwork. Viewed 577 times. Answered 5 times.

I have to get a passport photo/s fairly quickly?. I am wondering if there are any shops around To Ngoc Van or Xuan Dieu that do this. Or not far from there? I am aware of some in town, but because of some necessary to-ing and fro-ing it would be easier to say in that area.

MrMojoRisin MrMojoRisin posted October 13th, 2014 at 12:17 am to Paperwork. Viewed 121 times. Answered 3 times.

I need a police clearance from the US to get a teaching visa. My state allows me to request it by mail, but I need to send a check or money order along with my application. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a US dollar money order, or maybe a bank check? Thanks.

teacherk teacherk posted September 8th, 2015 at 10:17 am to Paperwork. Viewed 104 times. Answered twice.

I currently am in the process of starting work for 2 companies. One of them is an agency that sends teachers to public schools and the other is a language centre. Both require me to get a work permit. Can I work 2 separate jobs on 1 permit? Or is a permit linked to the one employer? Can I have 2 work permits? Or will I just be unable to work for both?? Haven't gone through this process before so a bit confused. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

RipCityKid RipCityKid posted July 29th, 2015 at 11:00 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 494 times. Answered 7 times.

Hi, I am trying to decide between HSBC and ANZ to open up a bank account here in Hanoi. I have tried to read most of the previous posts on this site and it seems as though people might lean toward HSBC. Nearly every other employee at the school I work at though uses ANZ, possibly by default. Trying to decide if I should follow the herd or be advised by prior posts on this site from 2 or 3 years ago. If anyone has opinions or experience with these two banks more recently I would interested to hear about it. I would be only using the account as an atm account and transferring money back to the US four or five times a year. Thanks for your help

Zenkarma Zenkarma posted September 8th, 2015 at 6:05 am to Paperwork. Viewed 92 times. Answered once.

Is there a reliable service in Hanoi to have documents delivered? For example, if I want to have some documents translated and notarized is there a service one can call to have them collect the documents, deliver them, secure receipt of delivery and then collect the documents when they are prepared? Sorry if this has been asked but I can't find anything on the topic. Many of us are familiar with a motorbike or bicycle courier for this type of service. Not sure if it exists in Hanoi or not? Looking for some names and numbers. Thanks.

minhminh900 minhminh900 posted August 22nd, 2015 at 1:13 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 444 times. Answered 7 times.

Hi everyone! I'm Vietnamese and my husband is American. I'm pregnant and will due in November. Now we are trying to find out how to register birth certificate for our child later. And will he automatically be American citizen? All information will be appreciated. Thank you guys :))

RipCityKid RipCityKid posted July 20th, 2015 at 8:20 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 140 times. Answered 4 times.

I am about to leave the US for Hanoi where I have a job with a school. Naturally, they have asked me to bring my documents along to obtain a work visa. Already have the police check sorted out so have my degree, college transcript and teaching certificates that are listed as necessary. My HR contact is asking that I 'certify' these documents. Does getting copies of each document stamped by a notary fulfill this requirement? Is there something more I can do here in America or do I need to do it at the embassy in Vietnam when I arrive. Thanks for any help

OlMucky OlMucky posted June 15th, 2009 at 5:03 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 2460 times. Answered 44 times.

Grant mentioned in a thread a while back that transferring money out of Vietnam via Western Union is "unworkable." Can Grant, or anyone else, expand on that? Is it not allowed, or what, exactly?

jrodgerjr jrodgerjr posted March 7th, 2015 at 9:37 am to Paperwork. Viewed 379 times. Answered 5 times.

I am currently trying to get a work permit as an English teacher here in Hanoi. I have all the paperwork except the proof of 5 years experience. I was told that this was only necessary for universities and not for private language schools. Is this true?

FitnessTrainer FitnessTrainer posted March 30th, 2015 at 8:18 am to Paperwork. Viewed 130 times. Not yet answered.

Je vis actuellement à Hanoi et je souhaite partir au Canada des cet été pour cela ils me demandent de leur fournir un extrait de cassier judiciaire dans les pays lesquels j'ai vécu plus de 6 mois durant les 5 années précédentes. De ce fait j'ai contacté l'ambassade des émirats arabes unis ou en leurs demandant les documents nécessaires à leurs fournir pour obtenir ce document. Le problème arrive ici, ils me demandent de leurs fournir une copie certifié de mes empreintes digitales(certified fingerprints form), je leurs ai donc demandé d'obtenir ces dernières mais sans réponse ni auprès de l'ambassade de France. Voila je ne sais pas ou me renseigner maintenant puis je dois faire ma demande de visa dans les semaines qui arrivent et j'ai besoin de ce document pour l'obtenir. Merci...

newtayho newtayho posted May 17th, 2011 at 9:39 am to Paperwork. Viewed 120 times. Answered twice.

Hi anybody know about translation/notarizing place in Hanoi nearby Tay ho area? i want to apply for birth certificate of my son. i have Marriage certificate in English, its need to translate into english? or HANOI Justice Department accept Marriage certificate in English


... is The New Hanoian's Q&A forum. If you've got a question about life in Hanoi that you think you should pose to someone in the know, here is the place to do it.

Search before you post! Many of your questions have been asked and answered before. If you need additional information on a past post, or want a more recent update of the information, add your question to that thread. Doing so will return the thread to the top of the list. Try to avoid posting duplicate questions whenever possible.