collins599 collins599 posted April 27th, 2012 at 9:59 am to Paperwork. Viewed 182 times. Answered twice.

I'd like to get a bike licence here to be eligible for insurance. Can I do a basic 2 day CBT in England and get it transferred here or do I need to do the full bike test? I've done a CBT before but it is now expired. I hold a full driving licence but assume this cannot be converted for bikes here. Just looking for the easiest and cheapest way to obtain insurance after having some friends involved in serious accidents the last 2 years.

ikoiko ikoiko posted July 1st, 2012 at 4:32 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 93 times. Answered twice.

I need to send money to Canada but the banks and Western Union require a labour contract to send money out of Vietnam. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Can anyone with a labour contract help me to send it Western Union...I can pay you! Please help! I need to send money for my student loan (in default!)

newswish newswish posted June 30th, 2012 at 4:17 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 191 times. Answered 4 times.

Hi, My wife and I are going through the process of having me formally adopt her daughter. We are quite confused at the process after some meetings with government officials. We hope that someone out there has some experience and is able to help us. We do understand this is Viet Nam and everything is case by case, however to be able to share some experience would be a huge help to us.

WildeThing WildeThing posted March 28th, 2011 at 2:44 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 96 times. Answered 17 times.

Quite a convoluted one this one, but here goes. I work for an English teaching company (that I'd prefer remained nameless) that goes through the proper channels, i.e. you need to get a work permit through them. I've been told by them that if I don't give them the necessary documents, (as I'm now 'in the system' with my work visa 'in process') that I'd have to leave Vietnam and wait 3 months before being able to come back. So, what I want to know is, can I simply quit my job (which would involve giving 4 weeks notice and all that kind of thing) and then stay in Vietnam by extending my current tourist visa? I basically want to leave and go to another city in the near future. If not, this would be very annoying! Would be extremely grateful for any informed answers, thank-you.

barca_181 barca_181 posted June 20th, 2012 at 6:24 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 268 times. Answered 16 times.

Hi dears Would someone tell me please , what are legal steps requested for opening a new trading company in Vietnam . -1 Do i have to pay custom tax for exporting ?, agricultural goods such as cafee beans (not roasted), rice , pepper ,tea , rubber latex etc............ -2 What is the kind of taxes must to pay in such as this business ? -3 Do i have to deposit some sum of money for trading company account , if so , how much ? and is it optional or necessary ? -4 Is there any law that determines how many workers that the new trading company required to employed in beginning ? thank you so much for your sharing Barca

toiyeuvietnam2012 toiyeuvietnam2012 posted June 19th, 2012 at 4:46 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 208 times. Answered twice.

Hi, i have a vietnamese Paypal account (verified). I try to withdraw money (in VND) from my paypal account to my local bank account (VND). I try DongA and Vietcombank, but nothing arrive in my bank accounts. Anyone has the same problem?

liner liner posted June 19th, 2012 at 8:56 am to Paperwork. Viewed 256 times. Answered 3 times.

I'm having trouble finding what the phone codes are from Oz to call mobiphone mobile in Hanoi. Thanks in advance (I HOPE)

aloram aloram posted June 12th, 2012 at 5:12 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 96 times. Answered 20 times.

I've read all the related postings on this site (and plenty of other sites, too) and I want to know if anyone has recent information or a recent experience they could share. I'm an American man and my girlfriend is Vietnamese (from Hanoi). I know how these marriage procedures change and evolve over time; what is the current timeframe, cost, process, etc. looking like? We've been together awhile and neither of us are into big ceremonies, wedding parties, etc. We want to do it in the most basic and cheap style. We'd prefer to just get married on our own, with not even a formal ceremony. I know Bangkok is conducive to this, but what can we do here that most resembles that kind of process? Thanks a lot.

solidgold solidgold posted June 12th, 2012 at 8:18 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 229 times. Answered 11 times.

Hello, I could really use a quick piece of advice about whether I'm bring scammed or not. I've been a resident of VN for two years, have a housing contract, work permit, and my employer has been deducting PIT from my paychecks the last two years (theoretically). I recently met a Vietnamese accountant who has looked at my paperwork, and told me they can get me a big chunk of my PIT returned to me, minus 30% for their service, however they want half upfront, which is several thousand USD. My big question is, Is this a scam, or is it actually possible to get your PIT back? I've checked the Ask TNH, but didn't discover if anyone else had this. They said they could do it ten days but need the invoice to show the tax department, so I need to pay something upfront. Has anyone heard ...

aloram aloram posted June 9th, 2012 at 5:35 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 136 times. Answered 4 times.

Is there a place in Hanoi that does translation from English into Thai? I need some formal English documents translated into formal Thai documents. Thanks.

hangquyhop hangquyhop posted June 13th, 2012 at 11:19 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 270 times. Answered once.

How could i have Viet Nam's nationalaty? it's long story why do i want to have Viet Name's nationalary but It's really important for me,so if anyone know how pls share.Thank you so much!

DD45 DD45 posted May 23rd, 2012 at 5:23 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 235 times. Answered once.

Has anybody got experience to share on getting a Vietnamese passport renewed within 48 hours? All permissions and paperwork are done. Is there a fast track that I should be aware of? BTW, done the search already!

Robartle Robartle posted May 18th, 2012 at 7:03 am to Paperwork. Viewed 137 times. Answered 8 times.

What should a full time English contract include in Ha Noi? I've searched but couldn't find anything up to date and specific and it's that time of year that everyone is considering an annual contract... Also the typical wage (for annual contract), though covered previously would be helpful. So what should we all expect before we sign a year of our lives away???!!!

toiyeuvietnam2012 toiyeuvietnam2012 posted May 14th, 2012 at 4:41 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 75 times. Answered 15 times.

Hi, i want to open an VND Account including a ATM card. Any suggestion? What is the cheapest bank where i dont have to pay for getting money and things like that. Thanks a lot..

kparsons (elite user) kparsons posted May 25th, 2008 at 6:43 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 541 times. Answered 9 times.

Does one need a Vietnamese license to buy a motorbike in Vietnam? It seems possible to buy a motorbike w/o one, but we aren't really clear on the logistics of doing so -- can anyone enlighten us?

Webel Webel posted April 30th, 2012 at 6:28 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 225 times. Answered 5 times.

Hey guys! So I've fallen in love with the Minsk motorbikes, and I'm buying one in the next few days. I really don't want to flog it when I'm done with it- I'd rather ship it home. Here's the deal, I want to buy the motorbike in Hanoi. Take it to Laos, ride about a bit and then stick on a boat for it to go home to Sweden. I've found a cheap shipping company so that's fine. But I can't seem to figure out what I need paper wise, most forums I've read are quite fuzzy and I'm not sure how it works... Can I even ship it from Laos if it's in Vietnamese plates? From what I can understand, without the proper paperwork you're not supposed to take it over to Laos in the first place. But I've met so many people that just laugh and say that the customs don't even bother looking at the bike ...

simplest2remember simplest2remember posted April 18th, 2012 at 4:16 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 226 times. Answered 3 times.

So, I've just picked up my wedding certificate from Hai Duong (at great under the counter cost I might add) and now I want to know, given we are going to England shortly, is there any benefit getting married there (for legal reasons)? Does it make it easier to travel later on, or get hold of documents (e.g. British passport, driving license) when we head there in a couple of years? Anyone?

rumbabumba rumbabumba posted April 17th, 2012 at 1:05 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 52 times. Answered once.

hey all! is there any palce in hanoi where i can watch bayern vs madrid tonight? thanks!

Nuramo Nuramo posted March 12th, 2012 at 3:23 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 79 times. Answered 8 times.

Because my police clearance check if over 6 months, I have to get a local check. No problem. But my Work Permit is hung up and I only got a 30 day visa. When will the end? Will it end? This is the worst situation on visas I've ever experienced. Any news on the issuance of visas and extensions being for longer periods? I think this will cause a LOT of teachers to leave. It's too difficult to manage with the uncertainty.

HajiAli HajiAli posted April 3rd, 2012 at 4:42 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 25 times. Answered twice.

Question to the happy owners of The tam tru:do you have any stamp in yr passport about temporary residence card or the Immigration Department does not stamp yr passport when giving the tam tru?thanks a lot


... is The New Hanoian's Q&A forum. If you've got a question about life in Hanoi that you think you should pose to someone in the know, here is the place to do it.

Search before you post! Many of your questions have been asked and answered before. If you need additional information on a past post, or want a more recent update of the information, add your question to that thread. Doing so will return the thread to the top of the list. Try to avoid posting duplicate questions whenever possible.