Ocelots Ocelots posted February 3rd, 2013 at 10:21 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 101 times. Answered 12 times.

It's crossed my mind just before I leave that I may require proof upon return to Australia that I didn't do anything illegal whilst in Vietnam.

Anyone managed to get a police clearance from Vn cops? What happens if you're already in Aus (I leave in a couple of days)?

Do I just wander down and pay some dude to give me a paper with a signature?

I wasn't working whilst here so I was on tourist visas the whole time.

Last answered by khuyentuong about 3 months ago.

Answers (jump to newest answer)

Grant wrote on February 3rd, 2013 at 11:49 pm
Grant (elite user)


Uncross your mind. Never heard of such a thing being necessary, ever.


Newman wrote on February 3rd, 2013 at 11:55 pm
Newman (elite user)

If you had done anything illegal here, and gotten caught, Australia would already know.

Future employers in Australia will ask you to sign standard forms in the process. As an Australian, it's your record there that counts.

Of course, if any illegal activities in Vietnam will only improve your record in Australia, then by all means visit the local plod on your way out...

Ocelots wrote on February 4th, 2013 at 12:01 am

Haha, thanks for the reassurance Newman! Looks like I don't have anything to worry about then! :)

Vegas wrote on February 4th, 2013 at 1:22 am
Vegas (elite user)

Think again, missy. You were so working, and the Australian authorities know it. Busted.

Ocelots wrote on February 4th, 2013 at 8:26 am

I volunteered for 5 months but I haven't earned a cent while here.

Vegas wrote on February 4th, 2013 at 1:32 pm
Vegas (elite user)

So you say! Guilty until proven innocent.

Seriously though, as Grant said. Have a safe and worry-free journey home.

Watch out when you get there though - since you've been away, probably about 50,000 new laws have been added to the statute books of the world's greatest nanny state, banning things like nose picking, zit squeezing, bad breath, perving behind sunglasses on public transport and so on.

Newman wrote on February 4th, 2013 at 2:11 pm
Newman (elite user)

All the things Vegas enjoys. It's a sad nanny-state world.

Vegas wrote on February 4th, 2013 at 2:16 pm
Vegas (elite user)

You said it! Particularly the breath thing. That's tops.

MikeHall wrote on February 17th, 2013 at 12:59 am

It costs 100,000 vnd but it takes two months. Can't imagine it being needed unless you work in government.

VietDon wrote on February 17th, 2013 at 2:18 am

I ran into this pretty much this exact issue:

I am engaged to an American, and we are getting married in the States, which requires a Fiance Visa, and part of that Visa is a police check from any country you've lived in for more than 6 months.


I emailed the Canadian Embassy in Hanoi about this as to whether or not this was actually a possibility. I won't copy/paste over the conversation, but I will sum it up.

You need to have a copy of your passport and Visa's made, and then they need to be authenticated, by a lawyer or such, and then sent to Vietnam to someone whom you have authorised to act upon your behalf, which is another form; the paperwork all needs to go to the local police station where you lived, so if you lived in multiple places, that means multiple forms, and multiple issues.
It costs 200,000 VND and takes 20 days...in theory.
Best get this done before you leave.
Hope this helps.

VietDon wrote on February 17th, 2013 at 2:21 am

Actually, the embassy originally asked me to send my passport to Vietnam... but then I showed them why that wouldn't be a good reason.

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
khuyentuong wrote on May 3rd, 2020 at 2:57 am

Vietnamese Police Clearance Certificate application for foreigner already left Vietnam

You stayed/lived in Vietnam (already left Vietnam) and need a police clearance from here for your job/visa/marriage/immigration purpose?

You wonder about where and how you can apply for it?
You don’t want to fly back to Vietnam just to apply for this document?
You don’t know exactly about the requirements?
You don’t know where to get the form and you don’t understand Vietnamese to fill up it?

Below are some information:

1) Which one to apply:

There are 2 kinds of Criminal Record in Vietnam: no 1 and no 2. By Vietnam law:

*Number 1 is for:
+ individuals who want to use Criminal Record for personal/professional purpose: apply for a new job, apply for college/university, apply for marriage certificate abroad, apply for residence abroad …
+ political organizations who want to verify about someone for the purpose of employment or promotion.
No 1 only states/includes unspent convictions and doesn’t state/include spent convictions.
No 1 doesn’t include names of your parents and spouse (if any)

You can apply for no 1 by yourself or authorize someone to apply for you.

*Number 2 is for:
+ individuals who just want to know their criminal record which is stored in government database (not to apply for job or any other purpose)
+ proceeding-conducting agencies (courts, procuracies) for the purpose of investigating a case/lawsuit.
No 2 states both spent and unspent convictions.
No 2 includes names of your parents and spouse (if any)

However, there are still organizations request for the Criminal Record no 2, for example for visa/immigration interview. In that case, you may still need to fulfill their request for your sake. (For example, Canada and Australia immigration usually requests no.2)

2) Where and How to apply:

You need to apply at/via The National Center for Criminal Record.

* If by yourself:

+ Fill up the application form and the registration to receive for postal service, then sign on them.
+ Bring the 2 above forms with your passport which have all Vietnam visas, exit and entry stamps to Vietnamese embassy and certify the documents.
+ Send them to The National Center for Criminal Record in Vietnam. You need to send by trustworthy mail services which provides tracking number such as DHL or ups.
+ Once the documents arrived, you should have a Vietnamese to call them to verify if the application is accepted as well as the fees you need to pay.

There are 2 ways:

+ Via postal service. Applicable for both no 1 and no 2.

Note that though you can make payment by bank transfer, it would take them very long time to verify (at least a month). They're having hundreds of applications from abroad which they are still unable to verify (the payment). Even if someone in Vietnam help to do bank transfer in Vietnam, it's the same, paying in cash will make it faster. So after you send your documents to them via postal service, you should have someone call them to ask if the application is accepted, and if yes, that person can come and make payment in cash for you.

+ Authorize someone in Hanoi to come to The National Center for Criminal Record to help you to apply in person.
Address: 6th floor, Building A, No.9 Tran Vi Street, Mai Dich Ward, Cau Giay District, Hanoi. This is inside campus of Vietnam’s Judicial Academy.

Only applicable for no 1.

3) Application for Criminal Record no 1:

* Note:

+ You need to certify all your documents at Vietnamese Embassy/Consulate. If your country doesn’t have Vietnamese Embassy/Consulate, go to a neighboring country has. They don’t accept certification from any elsewhere.

+ All forms need to be filled by Vietnamese in Vietnamese form.

* If apply directly by yourself (postal service + online):

+ An application form for criminal record certificates (Form No. 03/2013/TT-LLTP)

+ A certified copy of applicant’s valid passport or ID card

+ A certified copy of your temporary residence card.
In case there is no temporary residence card, you can submit: certified copy of passport with entries and exits relevant to Vietnam and Vietnam visas.

+ Registration for receiving criminal record certificates through postal service (Form No. 01/2014/LLTP).

* If authorize someone to apply for you:

- An application form for criminal record certificates – (Form No.04/2013/TT-LLTP) (This is filled and signed by the person who apply for you, that person will declare for you. Of course you need to provide him/her your information).

- A certified copy of applicant’s valid passport and ID card and ID card or passport of the authorized person.

+ A certified copy of your temporary residence card.
In case there is no temporary residence card, you can submit: certified copy of passport with entries and exits relevant to Vietnam and Vietnam visas.

- A certified authorization letter on implementing all procedures for criminal record certificates.

4) Application for Criminal Record no 2:

Same with application for Criminal Record no 1, with only 2 differences:

+ You can’t authorize someone else to apply for you.
+ You need to certify your signature on application form at Embassy as well.

5) Time and fee:

Officially it takes 3 weeks and 200,000 VND processing fee to receive the Criminal Record, though sometime the date on the Criminal Record is just 1 week from the day you apply. After they receive your application and payment, they should issue you/the authorized person a letter stating the date you should expect to receive the Criminal Record. (see photo for reference).

Note: The Criminal Record you would receive is in Vietnamese, you would need to have it translated to English and certified.

(There are express services to apply the Criminal Record faster with much higher fee)

6) Postal fee to send your Criminal Record:

6.1. If you apply by yourself (postal service + online), the mandatory postal fee is listed in the 4th attachment in this link: http://ttlltp.moj.gov.vn/qt/thongbao/Pages/thong-bao.aspx?ItemID=43
which is “TB 09_TTLLTPQG_GIA CUOC.pdf“

6.2. If you authorize someone to apply for you, he/she can either send for you by DHL or Vietnam Post:
+ By DHL: around 1,464,000 VND for Canada and Ireland; 1,760,000 VND for South Africa. Receive in 2-3 business days. You can check the price on their website.

+ By Vietnam Post: around 830,000 VND for Canada and Ireland; 383,000 VND for the Philippines. Receive in 5-6 business days though it can be longer.
Price on their website is not correct (when I called they said they didn’t update their website).

So if you don’t need to send urgent and want to save the cost, you can select to send by Vietnam Post.

7) Other notes:

+ You may see this page: https://lltptructuyen.moj.gov.vn/home, however only uploading scan of your documents here won’t be enough. You still need to send actual certified copies to the Criminal Record Center in Vietnam.

+ If you had left Vietnam, but don’t live at your home country, and live abroad, it’s most likely that the Vietnamese embassy at the country you’re living in don’t accept to certify for you directly. You need to come to embassy or your home country to certify first, then come to Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country you’re currently living at to certify, then finally come to Vietnamese embassy to certify. For example, if you are British living in Japan, you need to come to British embassy to certify first, then go to Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan to certify, then finally go to Vietnamese embassy to certify. There is exception that they would certify for passport holder from a 3rd country, but not all the times.

+ If you and your partner/spouse/friend/brother/sister want to apply for the Police check together and would send the application and receive the result from/at the same address, and you wonder if you can send the application together and receive the result together to save the postal fee, here is the answer:

The National Center for Criminal Record need to treat each application individually, that means you should send the application separately and receive the result separately. They may accept you to send the applications together, but they must send the results to you separately.

Unless you only need the no.1 and you authorize someone to apply for it, then that person can receive for you, and send the results in the same envelope for you, otherwise you can’t receive the results together.

+ If you have old and new passports, and the old passport contain all Vietnam visas, exit and entry stamps, you need to certify both passports. However on application, you will put info of the new passport.

+ If you had lost your passport with all Vietnam visas, exit and entry stamps on it, you would be able to apply for Criminal Record if you come to Hanoi in person, and within 7 days from your day of arrival, you need to come to the Center to apply.
(Or contact us for advise)

We offer a service to help you to process for this, if you would like to inquiry about the service => Send us an email to khuyen@lsfvn.com or a message to


Check our website for more post about this: https://lsfvn.com/

Please Sign In,  or Sign Up to post an answer.
The New Hanoian

The New Hanoian Ltd is registered with Companies House in the United Kingdom. Started in 2006 it remains the premier source for English-language information about living in Hanoi, and other major cities in Vietnam.