itsjohnny itsjohnny posted October 21st, 2012 at 6:49 am to Paperwork. Viewed 149 times. Answered 8 times.

I would like to apply for residency(temporary and ideally permanent). Has anyone does this with the help of a lawyer? I don't mind paying a fee. It would be preferable to running around myself. Any contacts in this area would be appreciated.

Last answered by nguyen thao hien about 17 months ago.

Answers (jump to newest answer)

maliusmaximus wrote on October 21st, 2012 at 8:15 am
maliusmaximus (elite user)

Try typing "residency" in the search box. This question has been asked and answered many, many times.

If you can't find the answer you're looking for, post under one of the existing threads, for example:

itsjohnny wrote on October 21st, 2012 at 10:05 am

I'm looking for the name of a lawyer who can assist me in the process. That hasn't been asked. Try reading the question malius maximus.

maliusmaximus wrote on October 21st, 2012 at 10:32 am
maliusmaximus (elite user)

You should be posting under existing threads on the same topic. Try reading the Terms of Service itsjohnny.

maliusmaximus wrote on October 21st, 2012 at 10:49 am
maliusmaximus (elite user)

Additionally you could try contacting some of the people who have mentioned they consulted a lawyer or a law firm.

Taking the brief time to read the above threads might also highlight some issues that you may not have considered. Better than chatting to a lawyer cold turkey.

edman_ipm wrote on October 22nd, 2012 at 2:56 pm

If you are working in Vietnam and you think that you will work here for a long time firstly you have to apply for a work permit. Work permit usually is given for a three year term. Once you have the work permit you can then apply for a temporary resident card which has the same term (3 yrs)as your work permit.

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
zorro wrote on October 19th, 2014 at 8:11 am

Edman is correct. You have a work permit, you could apply for Temporary Residency Card in Vietnam. However, another way is to get married, and get visa exemption to stay in Vietnam. Or if you are an investor, you could also can apply for Temporary Residency Card in Vietnam as well.



mattnnz wrote on October 21st, 2014 at 6:00 am

It turns out that if they find out that you are working on a visa exemption, they won't extend it. They will tell you that you must either get a 1 yr business visa or a 2 year temporary resident card. I found this out the hard way when I used a visa exemption to dodge a high visa extension cost when waiting for my work permit (the process had ground to halt early this year)and had planned to extend again while my temporary resident card was in processing. I was stupid enough to include information about my employer on the extension form. They saw this and refused to extend the visa exemption. The trouble is while all this was going on, the clock is ticking and you are on the hook for over-staying your visa. I got it sorted after a lot of ballache and 3 million dong fine.

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
nguyen thao hien wrote on September 19th, 2017 at 10:10 am
nguyen thao hien

You may be granted a temporary residence permit based on your work permit. I will explain to you as follows: When you work in Vietnam you will be sponsored by the company and work visa. Then based on your degree, you will obtain a work permit, and then from that work permit they will issue you a temporary residence card. This card has the same duration as your work permit. Or, if you are an investor, you also have a work permit and temporary residence card

Please Sign In,  or Sign Up to post an answer.
The New Hanoian

The New Hanoian Ltd is registered with Companies House in the United Kingdom. Started in 2006 it remains the premier source for English-language information about living in Hanoi, and other major cities in Vietnam.