xxxriainxxx xxxriainxxx posted August 31st, 2010 at 6:07 pm to Travel. Viewed 1146 times. Answered 35 times.

Here's our problem.. We are traveling to Cambodia 25-28 Sept 2010 and we just got our visas (B3) today. The problem is this passport of his ran out of pages. He is holding an Australian passport and he is planning to get a new passport tomorrow (Est TAT would be 10 days). How does he transfer the valid visa on to his new passport? What to do? We looked at the passport site of Australia and is pretty much crap and cannot provide any valid answers.

Last answered by anamikasinghdnt2 about 4 months ago.

Answers (jump to newest answer)

Grant wrote on August 31st, 2010 at 6:21 pm
Grant (elite user)


Visa changeover is only a couple of days. The Visa in the old passport is still a valid document if they haven't stamped cancelled on the actual Visa itself. Wouldn't risk trying to travel on it though.


Longh wrote on August 31st, 2010 at 6:32 pm
Longh (elite user)

Just take it to the Ministry of Immigration on Hang Bai st. I can't recall exactly the paper work required, but it only takes about 3-5 business days or quicker if you can sweet talk some of the counter personnel.

xxxriainxxx wrote on August 31st, 2010 at 8:47 pm

^^ Tea money required @Longh ?

Longh wrote on August 31st, 2010 at 9:01 pm
Longh (elite user)

Just good connections. You don't deal with the person that actually puts the visa in the passport.

BacDavid wrote on August 31st, 2010 at 9:13 pm

If I read the question correctly, you have a Vietnamese visa in a full-up Australian passport and a new Australian passport with no Vietnamese visa. Carry both with you and present both when you return to Vietnam. The visa remains valid. Bac

Longh wrote on August 31st, 2010 at 10:26 pm
Longh (elite user)

@ Bac David: Vietnam does not recognize invalidated Visas. If you have to Passports they will only recognize the valid one as per the Ministry of Immigration.

Not all countries follow that well recognized rule and Vietnam happens to be one of them surprisingly.

Longh wrote on August 31st, 2010 at 10:27 pm
Longh (elite user)

Sorry that was say "invalidated passports."

siritwan wrote on September 1st, 2010 at 10:25 am

@xxxrainxxx: I had the same situation with my passport and visa. I had a new visa put into a passport that expired. I too wanted to get my visa transferred into my new passport. First, I went to immigration on Hang Bai street, and they said I could not do it and my employer had to do it for me. So I just left it as I was told that as long as I have a valid visa it would be ok. So, a week later I took a trip to Thailand. Going through immigration at Hanoi airport, I just showed them the two passports and they transferred the visa over into my new visa for me, for $10!!! I am still not sure why immigration at Hang Bai did not do this in the first place???
So I think as Long H suggests try going to immigration on Hang Bai first to get the visa transfer. See what happend from there???

Devo13 wrote on September 1st, 2010 at 4:19 pm
Devo13 (elite user)

I've had similar experiences as siritwan. Immigration at Noibai changes the visa from one passport to another for $10 while you wait.

See also

xxxriainxxx wrote on September 5th, 2010 at 5:27 pm


Can we just go to the airport and have it fixed right away?

Devo13 wrote on September 5th, 2010 at 5:39 pm
Devo13 (elite user)

If you mean handing it to immigration along with your plane ticket, yes -- it's fixed right away. I hand both to the immigration guy, who hands them (and me) over to a superior who took my to a side office to wait, while the two passports went elsewhere for a few minutes. I can't remember if I paid before the transfer was done or after, but it was only $10. I've done this twice in the airport.

If you mean if you are not immediately getting onto a plane, but want to go out to the airport and have it sorted beforehand, my answer is that I don't know.

The times I have had this process done not at the airport, it's taken a few days via my office. I don't know where they took it; I imagine the ministry of immigration (as earlier posts mentioned).

Grant wrote on September 5th, 2010 at 6:46 pm
Grant (elite user)


That was $USD10 right, and not the Vnd equivalent? Customs likes $USD in preference to Vnd.


Devo13 wrote on September 5th, 2010 at 6:56 pm
Devo13 (elite user)

Once was dollars, once was dong because I didn't have ten bucks on me. I agree, they probably prefer cash.

xxxriainxxx wrote on September 5th, 2010 at 6:58 pm


I really appreciate your answers.. we have the tickets already for our flight on the 25th, we should get the new passport from Australia hopefully this coming Friday and so I thought we should get it done the following day at Noi Bai. What do you think? Uhm, is it okay to get the referrals from your office?

xxxriainxxx wrote on September 5th, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Yeah, the "office manager" in our office is incompetent so I would not trust her handling this matter. It took her 1.5 months just to sort out our work permits and B3 visas even after she gave them very expensive tea money.

Devo13 wrote on September 5th, 2010 at 7:01 pm
Devo13 (elite user)

I will ask for you tomorrow and post it, but really, it's cool and quicker to do at the airport.

xxxriainxxx wrote on September 5th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

^^Thanks mate. This will take a load off our backs. Seriously. I would love to do it at the airport too, but I wonder if we can just waltz in with our tickets meant for Sept 25 on the 12th and have it done right away.

Devo13 wrote on September 5th, 2010 at 7:10 pm
Devo13 (elite user)

That was my point in the earlier email -- I don't know if you can get it done in advance of your intended departure at the airport, but you can waltz in on the 25th, after you've checked in your luggage, and get it down then!!!! I can't stress enough that you are making more work and hassles for yourself by doing something other than that method. I am a super anxious traveler, and the idea of having the visa in the wrong passport absolutely freaked me out, but it went smoothly both times.

Devo13 wrote on September 6th, 2010 at 10:40 am
Devo13 (elite user)

I spoke to the office, and they said if you work for an NGO, you need to go through PACCOM (and you will know who your contact is there). If not, you have to go through your embassy. Not very helpful, I'm afraid.

xxxriainxxx wrote on September 6th, 2010 at 2:09 pm

^^Oh...Okay, well I guess I need to go through the Embassy then.. Thanks, but I will give the visit to Noi Bai a shot. Thanks mate. :)

xxxriainxxx wrote on September 12th, 2010 at 10:19 am

Okay, just an update guys,

We went to Noi Bai Friday night and asked for the immigration office. Don't ask the guards, they know nothing. We went to the 2nd floor's Immigration Office and told the immigration about our predicament. (We prepared a Vietnamese translation written down for our concern). 15 minutes later, all done.

10USD fee.

We did not need to present any plane tickets at all. Hope this helps.

Devo13 wrote on September 12th, 2010 at 12:36 pm
Devo13 (elite user)

Excellent news!

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
hanoi_jon wrote on November 28th, 2010 at 7:30 pm

the airport solution isnt one ive heard before. do you happen to remember the name of the person you dealt with there? it would an ideal solution for me. And is it true that you cannot leave vietnam if you current visa is in a cancelled passport?

Grant wrote on November 29th, 2010 at 8:04 am
Grant (elite user)


You can leave Vietnam no problem at all. The Visa is still valid as long as the page the Visa is on doesn't have "Cancelled" stamped all across it or the page corner clipped.


Jones wrote on December 21st, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Grant's right.
I just left Vietnam for some travel and on my arrival back, where they have the "visa on arrival" booth, I gave them both of my passports, the canceled (where the visa was) one and the new one and in about 10 minutes or so they had transferred the visa from the old canceled passport to the new one. No hassle at all, and all this for 10 dollars. Though I paid in dong..

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
gatsby wrote on December 21st, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Any updated information on this? I have a visa in an old passport that I have to transfer to my new passport. Where do I do this in Hanoi? And what other supporting documents do I need?

MarkHanoi83 wrote on December 21st, 2012 at 6:55 pm

It's very strange that you can have that problem. In most countries, you cannot apply for an Visa if it's validity runs longer then the expiring date of the passport.

If you run out of pages in your passport (and have to get a new one), then it differs per passport and visa. Many visa's have the ID-code of your passport in it, and the ID-code of the passport changes for most passports when you get a new passport. So in many cases, you have to get a new visa instead of transferring the old one.

ruben3 wrote on December 22nd, 2012 at 4:17 am

you just need both passports. i didn't even have to transfer/pay anything leaving noi bai.

i simply presented both passports. they took a few minutes, then stamped the new one and that was it...

Newman wrote on February 6th, 2013 at 4:38 pm
Newman (elite user)

All the anecdotal evidence I heard from a range of people I respect and trust is that transferring your visa from old passport to new is best done at the airport. Well and good.

Unfortunately, I didn't have that option. For whatever reason, the last visa I was issued with was a B1 (from Sydney). Sounds flashy and cool (can work for the government etc) but ultimately presented a small roadblock at immigration. The best advice I received from local contacts was to get it done through immigration on Tran Phu but have my 'sponsoring organisation' do the paper work. Actually it's my wife's sponsor, not mine but that didn't matter.

I handed over the passports and paperwork and marriage certificate (remember this if you're a spouse like me) and the sponsoring org took care of everything. The stamping/processing fee via the red invoice from immigration is $15. Took a few days and more than a few phone calls, but all good now. Immigration took the liberty of changing my visa type to C2 (Other Purposes) during the process.

I have absolutely no doubt that in the majority of cases, rocking up to airport immigration will do the trick. Unless you have a non-standard visa to manage.

Devo13 wrote on February 7th, 2013 at 3:10 pm
Devo13 (elite user)

My visa was b1 as well; had no problems at the airport.

Newman wrote on February 7th, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Newman (elite user)

Nice to know.

peaceandlove1 wrote on February 8th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I ended up going to the airport but they only want to do it if you have a boarding pass

mamjoi wrote on March 15th, 2013 at 9:56 am

I went to the Ministry of Immigration here in Hanoi this morning to move my six-month tourist visa (issued in Sihanoukville) to my new passport. Firstly they said 'wow' when they saw the visa, and said that the consulate in Sihanoukville doesn't have the right to issue visas for six months (which I fully believe, so didn't argue with that). But then they said I can only get a two-week visa, which was not great (and a bit ironical since I don't even need a visa for a two-week stay in Vietnam). So the airport definitely seems to be a better option. (I cannot go there, since will leave Vietnam by train the next time.)

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
Abhi_Menon wrote on March 24th, 2015 at 3:52 am

Hello hello. I'm going to get my passport renewed at the Indian Embassy here in Hanoi and I have a tourist visa on my existing passport that runs out in the beginning of May 2015. I'm planning on flying to Bangkok for a visa run in May and I intend to get a new visa on arrival on my new passport.

I was wondering if anyone has recently tried leaving the country with two passports, where the visa is still on the old one. And if yes, did you still have to pay just 10 USD and did you have any trouble with the guys at immigration?

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
anamikasinghdnt2 wrote on November 28th, 2019 at 10:02 pm

i am happy

Please Sign In,  or Sign Up to post an answer.
The New Hanoian

The New Hanoian Ltd is registered with Companies House in the United Kingdom. Started in 2006 it remains the premier source for English-language information about living in Hanoi, and other major cities in Vietnam.