MrMojoRisin MrMojoRisin posted September 28th, 2016 at 3:47 am to Paperwork. Viewed 124 times. Answered 7 times.

My Vietnamese driving license expired, and they won't renew it because my US license has also expired. The clerk at the Motor Vehicle department said I have to go back to America and renew my license. I can't do that because to get a driving license in a US state, you have to prove residency in that state, and my only residence is here in Viet Nam.

Does anyone know of another way I can get a license? This is really important, as my health insurance won't cover me for an accident if I drive without a license.

Last answered by lcpossum about 17 months ago.

Answers (jump to newest answer)

PaulBart wrote on October 3rd, 2016 at 7:57 am

You'll need to sit the VN written test & practical test if you don't have a valid license from your home country.

Jelled wrote on October 4th, 2016 at 7:19 am

VN motorbike driver's licenses used to be valid for life. I know it's changed recently.

Is this because of wanting more money?

More regs for foreigners who have temporary visas?

This OP 'mojorisin' seems to be in a predicament that many other might be in.

jeff g wrote on October 4th, 2016 at 11:29 pm
jeff g

Do you have a parent/friend/relative living in your 'home' state whose address you can use? Then they can forward it to you. Of course, this will only work if you can renew your license online.

Alabaster Black wrote on October 7th, 2016 at 3:26 am
Alabaster Black

It is Vietnam. There are always "ways" to do things like this. It is mostly about finding the right agent who has the right contact in the right office.

An American friend was in this same situation last year. Both licenses expired simultaneously. There was no way to renew the U.S. license remotely, and it wasn't practical to return and get a new one there.

He was introduced to an agent who works near the license office on Cao Bá Quát, and it worked out great. I'll see if I can get that info and message it to you.

Barring that, the only other option he was given was to take the tests in Vietnamese.

clock iconThen Some Time Passed...
travworld wrote on August 29th, 2017 at 4:00 pm

international driving permit issued by AAA?

lcpossum wrote on September 15th, 2017 at 9:40 am

International driving permit is not valid in Vietnam and also requires a valid foreign license to translate from.

lcpossum wrote on September 15th, 2017 at 9:55 am

Mr Mojo: you are only half-correct in your statement about residency requirement to renew a US driving license. In most of the sunny South you simply give 'em your old one, get your pic done, give 'em the bucks, and snag your license. After all, why would anyone want to falsely claim residency in Alabama or Mississippi, or even South Carolina? You're obviously from one of those "progressive" states like California or Florida or most of Yankeeland.

Please Sign In,  or Sign Up to post an answer.
The New Hanoian

The New Hanoian Ltd is registered with Companies House in the United Kingdom. Started in 2006 it remains the premier source for English-language information about living in Hanoi, and other major cities in Vietnam.