RipCityKid RipCityKid posted July 20th, 2015 at 8:20 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 342 times. Answered 4 times.

I am about to leave the US for Hanoi where I have a job with a school. Naturally, they have asked me to bring my documents along to obtain a work visa. Already have the police check sorted out so have my degree, college transcript and teaching certificates that are listed as necessary. My HR contact is asking that I 'certify' these documents. Does getting copies of each document stamped by a notary fulfill this requirement? Is there something more I can do here in America or do I need to do it at the embassy in Vietnam when I arrive. Thanks for any help

Last answered by n8wcpo about 54 months ago.

Answers (jump to newest answer)

Photographer wrote on July 21st, 2015 at 12:31 am

OMG, please have all original documents certified by your department of foreign affairs or whichever government office fulfils this task.

Do this before leaving your home country where they were obtained (they may need your universities re-authentication first).

Having done this you can then have them certified as being genuine and unaldulterated by your Embassy in Hanoi.

These will then be acceptable to the department of labour once they have been checked and translated by Vietnamese authorities.

Jelled wrote on July 21st, 2015 at 12:45 am


I think the term is, "notarize."

The US embassy in Hanoi does this (at least, they did it for me a couple of years ago).

Photographer wrote on July 21st, 2015 at 1:21 am

You specifed copies, these are insufficient.
You need all the originals certified.
My American co-teacher went through hell because there was some reason that the US embassy in Hanoi could not verify a document.
Safe or sorry is up to you?

n8wcpo wrote on July 26th, 2015 at 3:31 am

The US embassy in Hanoi does not notarize academic credentials, but they will notarize a blank affidavit (50 bucks) in which YOU declare YOUR academic credential is authentic...California (and I imagine most states) has apostile/certification offices for academic records...20 bucks. To be safe I'd do it before coming to Vietnam.

Please Sign In,  or Sign Up to post an answer.
The New Hanoian

The New Hanoian Ltd is registered with Companies House in the United Kingdom. Started in 2006 it remains the premier source for English-language information about living in Hanoi, and other major cities in Vietnam.