domethrice domethrice posted March 5th, 2020 at 3:21 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 173 times. Answered once.

I am an American citizen who just married a Vietnamese citizen. What type of long term visa is available to me and or permanent residency without having to constantly leave the country. I am retired so shouldn't need a work permit. Also where would I get this visa or residency.

rburkwood rburkwood posted September 2nd, 2017 at 2:37 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 5257 times. Answered 7 times.

Hi everyone! So I need to obtain a Criminal records check "Ly lich Tu phap" from the National Center for Criminal Records in Vietnam. I am a Uk citizen who no longer resides in Vietnam. I need this certificate to pass security clearances in my new job in the UK. I have looked through the Vietnamese embassy in the UK's website for advice and it appears that it can be done but you need to authorise someone in Vietnam to do it for you. I have no contacts in Hanoi who could possibly do this for me. I have contacted a few law firms about this and have been quoted $500(!) to do this. Does anyone know of anyone else offering this sort of service at a better price? Any hel...

theunfamiliar theunfamiliar posted March 20th, 2018 at 10:11 am to Paperwork. Viewed 1841 times. Not yet answered.

Hi all. I'm an American just now moving to Hanoi for work. I need to find an accountant out here who is very experienced with America and Vietnam tax practices to help me figure out how best to approach my tax payments in both countries.

happyheart happyheart posted October 3rd, 2017 at 9:58 am to Paperwork. Viewed 1225 times. Answered once.

Hi There Everyone, I am seeking advice on how to proceed with opening up a startup with Vietnamese citizens. I see most businesses open through a Joint Stock Company here. 1. I was wanting to know would it be best to open a Limited Liability Company instead of a Joint Stock Company? 2. What is the best way to protect yourself as a foreigner when it comes to being in a partnership? (Not saying that things will go wrong or VN citizens are bad, but just wondering for future reference so that we can ensure fairness.) 3. One advice has been stated that I open business by myself, but with a team, it's better in my opinion as everyone has different expertise. 4. How can we ensure equal rights with equal power when it comes to decision making or vote on decisions. Who gets the overa...

BlackSheep BlackSheep posted January 19th, 2015 at 12:21 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 1100 times. Answered 4 times.

Has anyone overstayed a visa recently and paid the fine on exit at the airport? If so how much was the fine and is it still calculated on a per day basis?

DawidTFL DawidTFL posted December 28th, 2015 at 9:58 am to Paperwork. Viewed 1093 times. Answered 5 times.

Hi, Have a question regarding my work permit. ( I ma based in Hanoi ) I am about to hand in my notice. My employer is wanting to keep/cancel my work permit. Can I keep it, if yes, under what law? According to the contract I am giving 30 days of notice. Can anyone shed some light on it? Many thanks Dawid

travworld travworld posted June 30th, 2017 at 3:45 am to Paperwork. Viewed 1081 times. Answered twice.

Is there a certain amount you can send out via Western Union? Without giving proof of where it came from.

Hanoi 2017 Hanoi 2017 posted April 21st, 2017 at 10:22 am to Paperwork. Viewed 932 times. Not yet answered.

I want to sell my motorbike with NN plates What is the procedure to follow? Can someone help? Thank you

Ben-E Ben-E posted February 28th, 2012 at 1:08 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 3814 times. Answered 26 times.

I'm coming into Vietnam with a little bit over 7000 USD in various currencies and was wondering if it's a good idea to declare it so that I can then deposit it in a bank and take it out without fear if it being stuck in VN if I want to leave again. Has anyone ever tried declaring money to get evidence of it on entry and have people ended up having to line the pockets of some customs official. I've also heard they don't give you a landing card anymore so I can't just write it on that. Does that mean I have to go through the red channel etc.

frankHanoi frankHanoi posted June 24th, 2016 at 3:32 am to Paperwork. Viewed 918 times. Answered once.

Hi TNH! I'm looking at getting a Vietnamese Police Clearance Certificate, with my wife we lived in Hanoi (Dong Da district) for 2 years and a half under a work visa and we left 2 years ago. Now for a visa we are doing overseas we are required to provide such documents in all countries we have lived more than 12 months... It's apparently possible by giving the authority to a law firm or someone in Law to get such papers. Do you guys know how we could do it or do you know someone who could do that? So far we have contacted one law firm but they have asked for a lot of money (way to much). Thanks !

superbutterdog superbutterdog posted March 11th, 2016 at 5:42 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 1222 times. Answered 8 times.

I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been asked before but I tried a few different key word searches and found nothing. So, does anybody know if it's possible to get a Vietnamese driving licence (for a motorbike) if you haven't got one from home? In other words can you take the test here? If so, is it expensive, easy etc? Thanks.

european_son european_son posted May 13th, 2013 at 10:13 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 3274 times. Answered 29 times.

Can anyone please advise on whether I can choose Western names for my baby's Vietnamese birth certificate, or do all the names have to be Vietnamese? Brief summary of my wife is Vietnamese, and I am from the UK. We live in Vietnam, and we had a baby here recently. We want the baby's main first name to be Western, with Vietnamese middle name and my surname. We are attempting to get a Vietnamese birth certificate, but the Ministry appear to be saying that we can only choose Vietnamese names. Is this the law? Does the choice of nationality that we will choose for the baby (UK or VN) have any bearing on this? Any other factors I need to consider? We plan to get a British passport for the baby in due course. First-hand experience and/or legal advice especially appreci...

prabu201 prabu201 posted March 7th, 2016 at 3:38 am to Paperwork. Viewed 746 times. Not yet answered.

Hi friends, I'm planning to buy a used motorbike from a foreigner with NN number plate registered under his name. I am working in vietnam with a valid work permit and temporary residence card. I would like it to be re-registered in my name as he is leaving the country in two months. I am not sure about the documents required and the registration fee. Any help on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

cait cait posted March 4th, 2016 at 6:38 am to Paperwork. Viewed 764 times. Not yet answered.

Hi all, The deadline for PIT finalization is approaching and, as I hadn't been at my company long enough, they don't do it for me. I went on the tax website to try to do it myself but was quickly faced with an "upload file" request and didn't know what file they wanted and couldn't find any info about it anywhere. Attempt ended. Does anyone have experience doing their PIT finalization here themselves? Or do they know any agency that will do it for me? Really starting to cause a headache. Any info would be massively appreciated. Cheers!

RipCityKid RipCityKid posted July 29th, 2015 at 11:00 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 1254 times. Answered 7 times.

Hi, I am trying to decide between HSBC and ANZ to open up a bank account here in Hanoi. I have tried to read most of the previous posts on this site and it seems as though people might lean toward HSBC. Nearly every other employee at the school I work at though uses ANZ, possibly by default. Trying to decide if I should follow the herd or be advised by prior posts on this site from 2 or 3 years ago. If anyone has opinions or experience with these two banks more recently I would interested to hear about it. I would be only using the account as an atm account and transferring money back to the US four or five times a year. Thanks for your help

minhminh900 minhminh900 posted August 22nd, 2015 at 1:13 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 1354 times. Answered 7 times.

Hi everyone! I'm Vietnamese and my husband is American. I'm pregnant and will due in November. Now we are trying to find out how to register birth certificate for our child later. And will he automatically be American citizen? All information will be appreciated. Thank you guys :))

jrodgerjr jrodgerjr posted March 7th, 2015 at 9:37 am to Paperwork. Viewed 692 times. Answered 5 times.

I am currently trying to get a work permit as an English teacher here in Hanoi. I have all the paperwork except the proof of 5 years experience. I was told that this was only necessary for universities and not for private language schools. Is this true?

neil goudman neil goudman posted January 11th, 2015 at 4:18 am to Paperwork. Viewed 987 times. Answered 5 times.

i'm going to have some items shipped to me and want to estimate the $ that will need to be paid upon receipt. i tried these two resources ( & but cannot find rates for: tire ($300 usd motorcycle, odd-size unavailable in vn) gps unit ($500 usd garmin) motorcycle parts (assorted backup repair parts) i'm ok with paying the applicable fees, just want to know what to expect and be able to take along a copy of whatever *vietnamese documents* spell out the fee structure in the event the said fee is way off from expected. i tried some android apps etc. but i don't think they would persuade the fee-collectors if i need to cite one.

BeiFuzhong BeiFuzhong posted December 17th, 2014 at 10:47 am to Paperwork. Viewed 596 times. Answered once.

I am trying to get paid via direct deposit from a Vietnamese insurance company but Vietcombank is telling me they will only accept deposits from my employer. I have a full work permit, and have been here since mid August. Is this true of all banks in Vietnam? Foreigners can only have money deposited into their accounts from employers?

MarkHanoi83 MarkHanoi83 posted June 8th, 2013 at 4:26 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 4324 times. Answered 48 times.

I haven't seen this question or answer in any of the work permit topic, but if I missed it, please link me their. If you are married with a vietnamese citizen, you can get a permanent resident visa based on the marriage itself. My question is, how about a work permit? 1) If you are married and have a permanent residence visa, do you still require a work-permit to legally work? 2) If yes, can you get a work-permit based on your marriage, or is it a per-job basis process, just like everyone else?


... is The New Hanoian's Q&A forum. If you've got a question about life in Hanoi that you think you should pose to someone in the know, here is the place to do it.

Search before you post! Many of your questions have been asked and answered before. If you need additional information on a past post, or want a more recent update of the information, add your question to that thread. Doing so will return the thread to the top of the list. Try to avoid posting duplicate questions whenever possible.