superbutterdog superbutterdog posted March 11th, 2016 at 5:42 pm to Paperwork. Viewed 1182 times. Answered 8 times.

I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been asked before but I tried a few different key word searches and found nothing. So, does anybody know if it's possible to get a Vietnamese driving licence (for a motorbike) if you haven't got one from home? In other words can you take the test here?
If so, is it expensive, easy etc? Thanks.

Last answered by Wald0 about 46 months ago.

Answers (jump to newest answer)

PaulBart wrote on March 14th, 2016 at 3:03 am

Yes it can be done. I did mine over 5 years a go so don't remember the exact details (ie. where to go to get all the bits done), but basically you need to have a car driving license form you home county, get it translated and notarised at an official notary office. Then you don't need to do the written test. If you don't have this, you will have to sit the written test, which I'm guess means you'll need to speak Vietnamese.

The physical test is easy to the point of being pointless - but I did see one person fail so I guess it dose have some use.

There are threads on here - well there always used to be - detailing all the steps - I know Flamingo Travel in the old quarter recently offered a service to help people get it done. I asked one of my staff to help book the test - but other than that we did it all ourselves I think.

The test will allow you ride bikes up to 175cc and it will mean that your insurance is actual valid should you have an accident.

Alternatively I'm pretty sure you don't need a bike license to drive a 50cc bike as long as you have a valid car driving licence.

superbutterdog wrote on March 14th, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Thanks PaulBart.

Wald0 wrote on April 4th, 2016 at 2:01 pm

This is actually wrong information currently, before this was the case that with car license you could get motorcycle license too, but they change something and this is not the case anymore.

But if you have a car license you only need to take practical test and not theory part..

Other option is to find person who has connections and can get it for you... like getting license longer than your visa.

Wald0 wrote on April 4th, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Hups.. before you got A1 when transfer car license..
should learn to read before writing.. or think.. :D

phobic888 wrote on April 6th, 2016 at 12:47 am
phobic888 (elite user)

Both of the above posters are right in their own regard. With a license from home (for a car), you can transfer it to a car license here. With a car license, you become exempt from having to to the written (theory) test for a motorbike license (A1 -- lower than 175cc). You still must do the practical test.

The change in ruling mainly affected the length of the license. They used to be forever, but now have been changed to the length of your visa. There are workarounds, but all in all, it is problematic unless you know someone.

The good news is that they offer an A2 license (over 175cc) and this has no expiration date. It also covers anything in the lower A1 category too. I did my in December. Same test and all that, just with a bigger bike that they supply.

Check on Hanoi Massive for a guy named Cuong or Cong and he will be able to help. I did mine through one of his friends (long story short) but they are partners.

PaulBart wrote on April 11th, 2016 at 5:57 am

So basically Wald0 that's exactly what I said...

thunderpussy wrote on April 11th, 2016 at 9:40 am

You and Waldo should get married...oh no, wait....

Wald0 wrote on April 13th, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Little too late.. ;) You can also transfer "big bike" license.. so A2.. minus is that it will have exp date! and in Hanoi they will say.. "can not.. foreigners are not allowed to drive big bikes" wanted to say Bitch please......

Please Sign In,  or Sign Up to post an answer.
The New Hanoian

The New Hanoian Ltd is registered with Companies House in the United Kingdom. Started in 2006 it remains the premier source for English-language information about living in Hanoi, and other major cities in Vietnam.